Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bipolar Disorder and Acupuncture

Have you been diagnosed with bipolar disorder or believe you know someone who might have it? Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder that effects millions of people and Acupuncture is being researched and studied as a complimentary treatment for it. Here's some information to help you understand how Acupuncture treatment can be beneficial.

Bipolar disorder (also referred to as manic-depressive disorder) is marked by periods of manic or high energy with euphoria and racing thoughts, alternating with periods of depression, apathy, and down moods. Symptoms can range from mild to severe depending on how bad or frequent the mood swings are during a cycle of mania and depression.

Most people with bipolar disorder often have relatives with bipolar disorder. They often have depression before the age of 25, and repeated periods of depression with oversleeping and overeating that doesn’t respond well to antidepressants.

How Can Acupuncture Help Bipolar Disorder?

Acupuncture is a holistic form of medicine. It is not only focused on the body, but is also focused on finding balance for the mind and finding equilibrium for the mood and emotions. People who have bipolar disorder are shifting from one extreme to the other, and the goal is to restore balance.

An Acupuncturist will assess a patient to determine what points would best correct the imbalance, relieve the symptoms at the source, and be balanced on a deep core level. Inserting needles at specific points helps to open blocked meridians and restore balanced energy flow. Many people fear that the needles could be very painful, but the needles are as tiny as a hair, and in most cases there is only a slight discomfort felt. The needles are then manipulated to have the desired therapeutic affect.

If you think that you or someone you know has bipolar disorder, it is important to see and get treated by a doctor or primary care physician, but also consider Acupuncture as an effective adjunct therapy.

Following is an excerpt from an interview with musician Kristin Hersh, about her experience with Acupuncture for Bipolar Disorder, originally published on AcuTake Health.

Kristin Hersh is the founder, lead singer and guitarist for the popular 1980s rock band Throwing Muses. She also is the author of Rat Girl, a memoir released last year that chronicles the early stages of Hersh’s 20-year battle with bipolar disorder. After two decades of trying everything from lithium to vitamins to exercise to just succumbing to her symptoms, Hersh had nearly given up on hopes of becoming well. Then she found acupuncture.

There is a lot of debate over how acupuncture actually works. Based on your experience, what is your interpretation of how acupuncture works for bipolar?

The way your soul is oriented to your body, it wants to be balanced; it wants to heal. But there are so many influences affecting us physically that it can’t always orient itself to the right position. It felt to me as though acupuncture reoriented me to the point where my soul knew exactly where it needed to be in my body. When I don’t get acupuncture, I am not orientated in my body, and my body isn’t functioning the way it should. We are emotional, psychological and intellectual beings, and all of these systems in me have orientated themselves since getting acupuncture. I haven’t yet experienced any symptoms that couldn’t be alleviated by coming back into balance that way.

Acupuncture is a systemic treatment rather than a symptomatic treatment. I trust this approach much more than the band-aid that medications provide. Bipolar is a host of conditions with a different array of symptoms depending on the person. I don’t experience this imbalance the way every other bipolar individual does. It is imperative to treat the disease at its deepest level. I didn’t want to live my life treating symptoms. I was diagnosed with bipolar about 25 years ago. That’s a long time to be trying to solve a problem and not succeeding. To have every symptom work itself out—to become unnecessary, is how it felt—makes me think that acupuncture works by treating the condition at its deepest level.

To read the entire article about Kristin’s return to health through Acupuncture,

click here: A Musician’s Return from Bipolar

5 comments:

  1. It is a very chronic disease and in that case there is a uncertain change in the mood of the patient and from studies it can be seen that the problem exists with the patient from the birth of the patient. I usually refer patients to Chiropractor North Ryde who knows that how to provide relief to the patient but one thing we need to keep in our minds that it is a very slow process and takes its time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This process helps bipolar and depressed patients to enjoy a significant reduction in their symptoms of mania while following a regular course of acupuncture mia fl .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this. I am very happy to your post about on. Great information, I would like to say your post is very informative.
    bipolar disorder types

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love  Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis,Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Chrons disease,Infectious mononucleosis.,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Nice post!!Thanks for sharing it with us....really needed. Dr. Park attended Korea University in Seoul, Korea and received his B.S. in Genetic Engineering. After graduating from college he completed a 2 year traditional apprenticeship under Master Hyun Kyu Choi as a full time apprentice studying Acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Medicine.Acupuncture in Ellicott City

    ReplyDelete